The Façade Improvement Grant Program provides financial assistance to Petoskey property owners or tenants seeking to renovate or restore commercial building exteriors.
Goal Of The Program
The goal of the program is to preserve historic facades, achieve quality façade improvement, and encourage economic investment within Downtown Petoskey. The DMB believes that by providing incentives to spur preservation, revitalization and reinvestment in structures within Downtown, it will create a more attractive downtown as well as greatly complement its economic development goals.
This physical improvement grant provides a matching grant for facades. For every dollar that is awarded, the applicant must spend a minimum of a dollar. It is a competitive grant program. Individual grant amounts will be up to 50% of the project cost estimate or actual project cost, whichever is less. $20,000 is allocated to be awarded in the 2017 DMB Parking Fund budget .
Eligible Applicants And Properties
Property owners or leaseholders of commercial property within the DMB boundaries are eligible to apply. In the case where the leaseholder is the applicant, the permission of the property owner is required.
All existing commercial or mixed use buildings located within the DMB are eligible to receive funding. Property taxes and other City accounts must be current. The business owner must have a City of Petoskey business license.
All grant funded improvements must be permanent and fixed in type and/or nature. Improvements must meet all State of Michigan and City of Petoskey code requirements including zoning, building, and safety codes. Improvements must also conform to Downtown Petoskey's Design Guidelines. The applicant must obtain all necessary permits and pay any corresponding fees.
The DMB, upon recommendation from the Design Committee reserves the right to determine the eligibility of all items in a project’s scope of work. Eligible items include, but may not be limited to:
- Façade rehabilitation
- Storefront repair or rehabilitation
- Door and window repair and replacement
- Exterior painting
- Masonry cleaning and/or repair
- Hardscape services
- Roof repair/replacement if roof is a significant architectural element of the building and is visible from street level in the immediate vicinity of the building.
All improvements must be initiated within six months and completed by November 30 of the year receiving approval. If the applicant has not met these requirements, the DMB will re-evaluate the status of the project. At its discretion, the DMB reserves the right to cancel or extend the funding commitment.
The Design Committee’s decision to accept an application will be based on available funds, the merits of the proposed project, and the support it provides to the general beautification of Downtown Petoskey.
All approved projects will meet the criteria presented in Downtown Petoskey’s Design Guidelines document. Click here to review.
- Appropriateness to the original, historic façade of the building
- Significant improvement of the visual appearance of the building and surrounding area
- The level of investment being made to the property
- Collective participation of adjacent property owners, if applicable
If funding is not approved, applicants are encouraged to re-apply during a future grant cycle.
Procedures And Process
- Attend the Pre-Submission Informational Meeting, Tuesday, January 24, 2017 at 5:00 in the Resort Room of Stafford’s Perry Hotel. Attendance at this meeting is not mandatory.
- Complete and submit an application to the Petoskey Downtown Office located at 216 Park Avenue, Petoskey, MI 49770. Applications are available at the Downtown Office and click here. Applications must be submitted by March 3, 2017. Design plans for the proposed improvements must be submitted with the application. Estimates for the proposed work must be submitted with the application. At a minimum, a detailed description of the work to be completed along with the building photos, showing the areas where work will be done must be submitted.
- The business or property owner may meet with the Downtown Director and Downtown Design Committee Chair to discuss the scope of the project. The scope of the project may require the services of a licensed architect.
- The applications will then be presented to the Downtown Design Committee for review. The Downtown Design Committee will make a recommendation to the DMB on which projects should receive funding and the extent of the funding.
- At its regularly scheduled March meeting, the DMB will consider the Downtown Design Committee’s recommendation and issue letters of approval to projects selected for funding. Any changes to the original plan or scope of work once the grant is approved must be cleared with the Downtown Director.
- The applicant has until November 30, 2017 to complete the project.
- Upon completion of the project, applicant will schedule an onsite visit with the Downtown Director and the Downtown Design Committee Chair to confirm that the work has been done according to the approved plan.
- Copies of paid bills and contractor receipts will be required. Within thirty days of their approval, the DMB will issue a check in the amount of the approved façade grant.
Grant recipients must agree to maintain the property and all improvements funded by the Façade Grant Program.
For additional information about the Façade Grant Program: Becky Goodman, Downtown Director, 231.622.8501 or firstname.lastname@example.org.