By the late 1920s Petoskey was known as Michigan's Winter Sports Capital and the Winter Sports Park was at the center of activities. A 400 square foot ice rink was created where recreational skating took place along with speed skating, broomball, hockey and figure skating. The quarter mile toboggan slide delighted both children and their parents. Overseeing the facilities and activities was the Winter Sports Club and in 1928 it began the long tradition of selecting a winter queen and over time, the thrones where the crownings took place, grew from modest to major works of beautiful public ice art designed and constructed by local artist Stanley Kellogg. Winter Carnival parades and dances also were a part of the festivities.
Downtown Petoskey has reinstated its partnership with the long-running Winter Carnival and will tap back into its roots with ice sculptures displayed on downtown sidewalks and in Pennsylvania Park! The Winter Carnival will celebrate its 90th year in 2018.
Thursday, February 15
Wine & Dine Progressive Dinner, 6pm
- Starter - Petoskey Farms Vineyard & Winery Downtown Tasting Room
- Cheese Course - Petoskey Cheese
- Soup and Salad - City Park Grill
- Entree - Stafford's Perry Hotel
Pasta Giardiniera with eggplant, portobello mushrooms, roma tomato, capers,
castelvetrano olives, roasted garlic, Italian parsley, mint, ricotta cheese and pine nuts. Garnished with a Parmesan cheese tuile and served with house baked Italian bread, roasted bell pepper & tomato-basil compound butter.
- Dessert - Palette Bistro
Tickets are $50 per person. Space is limited, purchase your tickets online now or call Andi at 231-348-0388 *TICKET SALES HAVE ENDED*
Friday, February 16
Chocoholic Frolic, 3-7pm
Tour the downtown stores, and be treated to chocolate treats wherever you go! If you visit all of the participating stores, you can enter into the drawing for the Chocoholic Gift Basket. To participate, simply pick up a Stamp Book at the Downtown Office or at any participating store and start your chocolate tour! Check out the participating stores here
Little Traverse Bay Humane Society, Rock Out for Rescue, 6-9pm
Mark your calendar! On Friday, February 16, 2018 (President's Day weekend), LTBHS will host Rock Out For Rescue, a dueling piano party at The Perry Hotel in Petoskey! There will be hors d'oeuvres, a cash bar, a silent auction, dancing and a whole lot of FUN! Tickets are only $50 and will be available for purchase starting Monday, January 8.
Tickets are available for purchase online at www.ltbhs.com
Valentines Concert at Red Sky Stage, 7pm
Two very talented Northern Michigan musicians unite to present this delightful evening of music to celebrate Valentines Day; Kelly Shively and Dan House. Click here for more information
Winter Ghost Walk, 8pm
You'll be shivering from more than the winter temperatures by the time you finish this hour long tour of the haunted establishments in Downtown! Start the spooky tour inside at the Perry Hotel, and finish with a walking tour throughout Downtown. tickets are $15 per person. Space is limited so reserve your tickets now by clicking below or calling Andi at 231-348-0388.
Saturday, February 17
Music from Lite 96.3 with DJ Tim Nixon
Fowling, Ladder Ball and Bags (never heard of Fowling? Well, check it out here
Kids Activities, Pennsylvania Park, 1-4pm,
Snowshoeing with Bearcub Outfitters
Warm up with hot coco and inside activities at the Petoskey District Library
Live Ice Carving, Pennsylvania Park, 2pm
- Get your face painted at Northgoods from 1-4pm
- February Sunshine Concert at Red Sky Stage - A Midwinter Concert Featuring Northern Michigan Singer Song writers. Click here for more information
Winter Sports Park
- 10:30am– Bumpjumping Registration
- 11:30am – 5 Star / Kobe Winter Charity Classic Hockey Tournament – 4 adult teams / 4 games running throughout the day.
- 12:00pm – Bumpjumping Competition Begins – Come check out or compete in an event unique to Northwest Michigan.
- 3:00pm – Youth Sledding Competition (Ages 12 & under – 3 divisions)
- 6:00pm – Cardboard Challenge Registration
- 6:30pm – Figure Skating Exhibition by the Petoskey Figure Skating Club (choreographed by Anne Murray & Terri Seever)
- 7:00pm - Cardboard Challenge Competition - Individuals, teams & organizations are all encouraged to participate. Judged on speed & creative design. Cardboard / Duct Tape / Paint
Sunday, February 18
Scavenger Hunt throughout Downtown Stores! 11-4pm
Pick up a Scavenger Hunt List at any open store on Sunday. Turn completed lists into the Downtown Office (216 Park Ave) by 4pm to be entered to win $50 Downtown Dollars! (must have all answers correct to win)
All Weekend Long
- Books For Love - Grandpa Shorter's Gifts is donating 10% of their sales to Pellston Elementary School Library, in honor of Carl and Ruth Shorter, founders of Grandpa Shorter’s Gifts. If you'd like to donate books, there will be drop off locations at both Grandpa Shorter's and J.W. Shorter & Son Mercantile. More about Carl and Ruth Shorter's love store, that inspired "Books For Love" here
- Grandpa Shorter's Gifts - Socks Special! Buy two pairs, get the third free!
- Bearcub Outfitters - One of the biggest sales of the year! Enjoy 20%-70% off! The more you buy, the more you save!
- J.W. Shorter & Son Mercantile - All Jenna Kator bags are on SALE for 30% off.
Thank you to our Sponsors
In the News
Resorts and Lodges - http://www.resortsandlodges.com/travelblog/a/petoskey-winter-carnival/