By the late 1920s Petoskey was known as Michigan's Winter Sports Capital and the Winter Sports Park was at the center of activities. A 400 square foot ice rink was created where recreational skating took place along with speed skating, broomball, hockey and figure skating. The quarter mile toboggan slide delighted both children and their parents. Overseeing the facilities and activities was the Winter Sports Club and in 1928 it began the long tradition of selecting a winter queen and over time, the thrones where the crownings took place, grew from modest to major works of beautiful public ice art designed and constructed by local artist Stanley Kellogg. Winter carnival parades and dances also were a part of the festivities.
Downtown Petoskey has reinstated its partnership with the long-running Winter Carnival and will tap back into its roots with ice sculptures displayed on downtown sidewalks and in Pennsylvania Park! The Winter Carnival will celebrate its 89th year in 2017.
Thursday, February 16
Wine & Dine Progressive Dinner, 6 p.m.
- American Spoon - starter
- Petoskey Cheese - cheese
- Pour Public House - soup & salad
- Palette Bistro - entree
- Smoked Duck Risotto with smoked duck breast, buckwheat risotto, roasted mushrooms, gouda (vegetarian option available upon request)
- Simply Sweet by Jessica - dessert
Tickets are $50 per person. Space is limited so reserve your tickets now by clicking below or calling Andi at 231-348-0388.
Friday, February 17
Chocoholic Frolic, 3-7 p.m.
Tour the downtown stores, and be treated to chocolate treats wherever you go! If you visit all of the participating stores, you can enter into the drawing for the Chocoholic Gift Basket. To participate, simply pick up a Stamp Book at the Downtown Office or at any participating store and start your chocolate tour! Check out the participating stores here
Wine Tasting at Grain Train Natural Foods Market, 4:30 - 6:30 p.m.
Little Traverse Bay Humane Society, Cool to Duel, 6-10 p.m.
Tickets are available for purchase online at www.ltbhs.com or at the Bearcub Outfitters and Ruff Life Pet Outfitters.
Ghost Walk, 8 p.m.
You'll be shivering from more than the winter temperatures by the time you finish this hour long tour of the haunted establishments in Downtown! Start the spooky tour inside at the Perry Hotel, and finish with a walking tour throughout Downtown. tickets are $15 per person. Space is limited so reserve your tickets now by clicking below or calling Andi at 231-348-0388.
Saturday, February 18
- 5K/1K Fun Run
- Registration starts at 8:30 a.m.
- Run/Walk starts at 9 a.m.
- Fee is $15
- Start/Finish at Gazebo in Pennsylvania Park
- Click here for full race route
- Intro to Skiijoring with Ruff Life Pet Outfitters, 11 a.m. - 12 p.m.
- Join Ruff Life as Tamara Stevens teaches the basics of Skiijoring during this 1 hour demo. Event will start in the store, with a demonstration taking place in Pennsylvania Park. Because this is a talk & demo, we recommend that you not bring your dog. RSVP: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Beard's Broomball Tournament in Pennsylvania Park at 12 p.m. at Gazebo in Pennsylvania Park
- Ice Carving in Pennsylvania Park 1-4 p.m.
- Winter Carnival Ice Bar Celebration with DJ Jimmy Hotkeys from KHQ, 1-5 p.m.
- Proceeds to benefit the Tip of the Mitt Watershed Council
- Winter Sports Park
- Char-Em Division III Hockey Game
- Bumpjumping Competition
- Crusader's Cook-out
- Curling for a Cause
- Youth Sledding Competition
- Figure Skating Performance
- Cardboard Challenge XXII
- Petoskey Junior Northmen vs. Kalkaska Hockey Game
- Click here for the full Winter Sports Park schedule
Sunday, February 19
Kids Carnival Day! 12-3 p.m.
Unfortunately, due to the beautiful spring like weather the past few days, the Kids Carnival activities in Pennsylvania Park have been canceled.
Make sure to check out the fun kids activities in the Downtown Stores! Keep an eye out for Olaf the snowman, he's hiding somewhere in Downtown Petoskey!
- Where’s Olaf? Olaf is hiding in Downtown this day only! Can you find him?
- Downtown Stores will host indoor activities for kids of all ages
- Grandpa Shorter's & J.W. Shorter & Son Mercantile - stop by both stores to leave your mark on a giant coloring mural!
- Craig Ryan - bean bag toss!
- NorthGoods - face painting
Sales... Sales ...Sales!
Visit the Downtown Shops for their President's Day Weekend Sales!
- B. Jeweled - Take a picture of their ice sculpture, post it on Facebook or Instagram & tag b. jeweled, show them your post and get 20% off your purchase!
- NorthGoods - Bring your ticket from the Petoskey Blues Festival and receive 10% off your purchase
- Bearcub Outfitters - Crazy Days Sale! Discounts start at 30% - 50% off for one item. Buy two items and recieve an additional 10% off. Buy three or more items and recieve an additional 20% off!
A special thanks to our sponsor Petoskey Area Visitors Bureau
In the News
Resorts and Lodges - http://www.resortsandlodges.com/travelblog/a/petoskey-winter-carnival/