By the late 1920s Petoskey was known as Michigan's Winter Sports Capital and the Winter Sports Park was at the center of activities. A 400 square foot ice rink was created where recreational skating took place along with speed skating, broomball, hockey and figure skating. The quarter mile toboggan slide delighted both children and their parents. Overseeing the facilities and activities was the Winter Sports Club and in 1928 it began the long tradition of selecting a winter queen and over time, the thrones where the crownings took place, grew from modest to major works of beautiful public ice art designed and constructed by local artist Stanley Kellogg. Winter carnival parades and dances also were a part of the festivities.
Downtown Petoskey has reinstated its partnership with the long-running Winter Carnival and will tap back into its roots with ice sculptures displayed on downtown sidewalks and in Pennsylvania Park! The Winter Carnival will celebrate its 88th year in 2016.
Thursday, February 11
Wine & Dine Progressive Dinner, 6 p.m.
- American Spoon – starter
- Petoskey Cheese – cheese & Crooked Vine Wine
- Stafford's Perry Hotel – soup & salad
- Palette Bistro – entree
- Cocoa-Coffee Rubbed Pork Tenderloin with beet gnocchi, kale, gorgonzola, and beurre rouge (vegetarian option available upon request)
- Simply Sweet by Jessica @ Monarch Garden & Floral – dessert
Tickets are $50 per person. Space is limited so reserve your tickets now by clicking below or calling Kate at 231-348-0388.
Friday, February 12
Chocoholic Frolic, 3-7 p.m.
Tour the Downtown stores, and be treated to chocolate treats wherever you go! If you visit all the participating stores, you can enter into the drawing for the Chocoholic Gift Basket. To participate, simply pick up a Stamp Book at the Downtown Office or any participating store and start your chocolate tour! Check out the participating stores here.
Ghost Walk, 8 p.m.
You'll be shivering from more than the winter temperatures by the time you finish this hour long tour of the haunted buildings in Downtown! Start the spooky tour inside at the Perry Hotel, and finish with a walking tour throughout Downtown. Tickets are $15 per person. Space is limited so reserve your tickets now by clicking below or calling Kate at 231-348-0388.
Saturday, February 13
Due to extreme temperatures the 5K/1K Fun Run is cancelled
- 5K/1K Fun Run
- Registration starts at 8:30 a.m.
- Run/Walk starts at 9 a.m.
- Fee is $15
- Start/Finish at Gazebo in Pennsylvania Park
- Click here for full route
- Broomball Tournament, Check-in at 10 a.m. at Gazebo in Pennsylvania Park
- 6 player teams
- $10/team entrance fee will be donated to Tip of the Mitt Watershed Council
- 1st place prize is $200 Downtown Dollars
- Registration closes Friday, February 12th at noon
- Check out our broomball rules and regulations here
- Ice Carving in Pennsylvania Park, 1-4 p.m.
- Winter Carnival Ice Bar Celebration with DJ Jimmy Hotkeys from KHQ, 1-4 p.m.
Winter Sports Park:
- 3nd Annual Winter Carnival Classic Char-Em Division III Hockey Game
- Bumpjumping Competition
- Youth Sledding Competition
- Figure Skating Performance
- Cardboard Challenge
- Curling Demo
- Click here for the full Winter Sports Park schedule
Sunday, February 14
Kids Carnival Day! 12-3 p.m.
Join us for winter wonderland fun in Pennsylvania Park! Snowshoes for kids, snow art, a snowman building contest, and more! Downtown stores will be hosting inside activities for kids of all ages. Stay tuned for details.
- Rocking Horse Toy Co. - kid's crafts
Sunday Evening Ice Bar at Twisted Olive 6-9 p.m. with live music from Sean Bielby. $2 Ice Shooters, $4 Cocktail Features, and Beer on Tap.
Sales, Sales, Sales!
- Bearcub Outfitter's 1-2-3 Sale
- Twisted Olive 2 for $25 - any salad or dessert with any entree is just $25
- Rocking Horse Toy Co. - large assortment of merchandise 30-50% off including Playmobil, Bruder Trucks, Calico Critters, Dolls & More!
- Cynthia's Too! Yarn & Gifts - 15% off all knitting accessories, free Soak Wash packet on 4 skein's or more of yarn, 1/2 price on all knitting patterns, and 35% off all Misti Alpaca Yarns
- The Sunglass Shoppe 20% off optical frame and prescription package
- Ruff Life Pet Outfitters 20-40% off select seasonal items while supplies last
- B. Jeweled 25% off the entire store unless marked down more
- Threads Denim, pants, sweaters, and blouses just $99, $20-$50 rack, and hanky panky's just $10
- Cutlers 50% off women's winter clothing
In the News
Resorts and Lodges - http://www.resortsandlodges.com/travelblog/a/petoskey-winter-carnival/